Now we all know the snow and freezing weather can really take a toll on curly hair! I have never been big on protective styling because I like wearing my hair out and curly. If I try to leave twists in for a while, i can’t because i want to unravel them to see how they look out.
This winter i decided to try protective styles for a change because I’m currently taking biotin pills with keratin to help grow my hair out. I have HAND IN HAIR SYNDROME so protective styling helps because I avoid touching my hair. My favorite is cornrows, as they are easy to care for and don’t bother me at all. I braided my own hair and moisturized with Camille Rose Naturals Curl Love Moisture Milk (whew! That’s a mouthful to say!). It helps moisturize my ends and prevents them from drying out during the time I have my protective styling in.
What I did to protective style:
1. I blowdried my hair on cool air and high setting to get my hair to lay flat so it’s easier to braid it.
2. I’m still learning how to braid (if you are trying to learn how to do corn rows, i suggest practicing on someone else’s hair to make it easier) but I sectioned my hair off in two sections.
3. I started braiding the top half and made sure i braided NOT TOO TIGHT or else that defeats the purpose of protective styling, as it will break off your hair and edges.
4. Once I braided the whole top section (8 braids on top), I secured the braid with small black rubberbands and made sure the rubberbands weren’t secured too tight!
5. I did the bottom half (8 braids on the bottom) and after, I braided all the braids into one big braid.
6. I laid my edges with eco styler gel (the olive oil green one) and was all ready to go!
NOTE: THIS STYLE SHOULD LAST A MAXIMUM OF A WEEK BECAUSE YOU SHOULD WASH YOUR HAIR ONCE A WEEK OR MORE.
As you can see, there is that fuzzy halo but a little eco styler gel def could fix that problem.
OTHER PROTECTIVE STYLES:
THREE STRAND TWISTS
SEW IN (as long as your braids are NOT too tight)
ADD PROTECTIVE STYLING TO YOUR ROUTINE THIS WINTER AND TELL ME IF IT WORKED FOR YOU.